Microsoft confirmed details today around the expansion of the Zune music and video service, including Zune Pass, Zune Marketplace and Zune.net, to European markets for Xbox LIVE, Windows Phone 7 and Windows PCs starting this fall.
What does this mean for Xbox LIVE members? Zune puts your favorite video and music content on the best screen in the house through Xbox LIVE. Zune music and video can be enjoyed easily across your Xbox 360, PC and, this holiday, Windows Phone 7.
- This fall, the Zune music experience arrives for Xbox LIVE Gold members in the U.S., U.K, France, Italy and Spain, providing access to unlimited, instant streaming of millions of songs straight from the living rooms, via a Zune Pass music subscription. A single Zune Pass subscription also works on Windows-based PC, Zune devices and Windows Phone 7.
- In addition to the great Zune video rental service that delivers tens of thousands of videosÂ instantly in up to 1080p, they will be adding the ability to purchase movies in select international markets and enhance usersâ€™ entertainment experience by enabling them to watch those movies on the PC, as well as sync them to a Windows Phone 7 via the Zune PC software
- Even more Xbox LIVE members around the world will be able to use the same Windows LIVE ID to connect their entertainment experiences across all the devices that matter to them.
Integrating the Zune music and video experience across Microsoft platforms is a significant step in bringing the best entertainment services to a broader audience. And donâ€™t forget, Zune music and video in the living room gets even more exciting later this fall with the magic of Kinect for Xbox 360, which will deliver controller-free voice and gesture navigation (in select countries).
The fall 2010 international expansion of the Zune music and video service includes the following:
- Zune Marketplace will extend services to several markets in Europe and beyond.
- Zune Pass (U.K., France, Italy and Spain). The monthly music subscription service will be available for 9.99 euros /8.99 pounds per month for unlimited download and streaming access to the Zune music catalog and will be accessible on Windows-based PCs, Windows Phone 7 and Xbox LIVE. The offer in the U.S. will remain at $14.99 per month for unlimited downloads and streaming access, with the ability to keep 10 MP3s per month.
- Music purchase (U.K., France, Italy, Spain and Germany). Expansion to these markets will enable consumers to purchase MP3s and listen on their Windows-based PC, Windows Phone 7 or any other device that supports MP3 format. Users will also be able to purchase music videos to enjoy on Windows-based PC, Windows Phone 7 and Zune on Xbox LIVE.
- Video purchase (U.K., France, Germany, Canada, Australia and New Zealand). Consumers will now be able to purchase movies to download and watch anywhere â€” on the big screen in the living room with Xbox LIVE or their Windows-based PC as well as sync it to their Windows Phone 7 to enjoy on the go.
- Movie rental (U.K., France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Mexico, Canada, Australia and New Zealand). In addition to Zune video on Xbox LIVE, consumers in these countries will now be able to rent movies for viewing on their Windows-based PC or choose to sync the rental to their Windows Phone 7.